Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are chocolate cake-like cookies with a chocolate frosting on top and a caramel surprise in the middle. Dough needs to be refrigerated overnight or for a couple of hours to be easy to handle. Hope you enjoy! Adapted from Taste of Home.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces melted cooled unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 soft caramels, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 ounce melted cooled unsweetened chocolate
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot water
- chopped pecans (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add egg, milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate and stir.
- Combine together the flour, baking powder, and salt and then gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Cover dough and refrigerate overnight or for a few hours so it is easy to handle.
- Cut each caramel piece into fours.
- Shape about a tablespoon of dough around each caramel. Be sure that all the caramel is completely covered and place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes or until set.
- Cool cookies on wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and enough water to make a thick spreading consistency.
- Frost cookies and if desired, sprinkle with pecans.
- When I made this recipe I was only able to make around 30 cookies, so if you want more cookies, use less dough around each caramel. Watch baking time, because they bake up fast!