Recipe by angelfan
These are a family favorite. They actually have more flavor the next day! The hardest part is unwrapping the caramels. Perhaps this is a step the kids could help with.
Top Review by greyghost
I actually found this recipe first at BHG - it was called Caramel Chocolitas - and they are FANTASTIC!!! BHG's recipe did not call for egg and the butter was melted, but all the rest is the same. EXCELLENT recipe -thank you!!!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 (14 ounce) package vanilla caramels
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 Cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Grease a rectangular pan(13x9x2)
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, soda, salt and egg in large bowl. Stir in butter with mixer till mixture is crumbly.
- Press 1/2 the crumbly mixture into pan. Bake ten minute.
- Heat caramels and milk in saucepan, over low heat, stirring often, until smooth.
- Remove baked crumbly mixture from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top. Drizzle with caramel mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 min or until golden brown. Cool 30 minute Loosen edges from sides of pan. Cool completely. Cut into 2x1 inch bars.