Recipe by QueenJellyBean
One of the pies that my grandma used to make for summer picnics and family get togethers. She got the recipe off a Crisco can...the only shortening she ever uses!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 0.5 (1 ounce) baking chocolate square
- 1 cup diced marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust; sift flour and salt into a bowl. Then remove 1/4 c flour.
- Cut shortening into remaining flour utnil pieces are size of peas.
- Make paste with the 1/4 c reserved flour and water. Add to shortening-flour mixture.
- Mix and shape into ball.
- Roll dough on lightly floured board to 12 inch diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Line pie plate; trim 1/2 inch from edge of plate, turn edge under;flute. Prick generously with fork.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 12 minutes.
- For the filling:.
- Mix dry ingredients with milk; cook over low heat until thickened- about 15 minutes.
- Add egg yolks and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla and chopped chocolate.
- Fill pastry shell and top with meringue made of egg whites beaten with melted marshmallows. Brown in a 350 degree oven.