Recipe by Kzim4
This recipe comes from a small grocery store stand cookbook. It was in the "totable desserts & appetizers" section.
- 14 ounces vanilla caramels
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Heat caramels and milk in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and egg in large bowl. Stir in margarine with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture in prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over baked crust. Drizzle with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 30 minutes. Loosen edges from sides of pan; cool completely.Cut into 2x1-inch bars.