1/4 Photos of Caramel Cake
1 hr 35 mins
Cooking to Perfection's Note:
This is out of Southern Living's Top 10 Cake Recipes. A unique, interesting, and satisfying cake. Try it some time!
My Private Note
two lay ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1For cake: Preheat oven to 350*.
- 2Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans.
- 3Combine sour cream and milk in small bowl; set aside.
- 4Beat butter until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- 5Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Sift flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternating with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 7Stir in vanilla (and rum extract).
- 8Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 9Bake in heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Let cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire wracks.
- 11For frosting: Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, milk, beaten egg, and salt in a bowl, stirring well; stir in butter.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup sugar in saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and syrup is a light golden brown.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Stir butter mixture into hot caramelized sugar.
- 16(The sugar mixture will tend to clump, but will become smooth after further cooking.) Cook entire mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer registers 235* (about 15-20 minutes).
- 17Cool mixture for 5 minutes.
- 18Beat frosting with a wooden spoon to almost spreading consistency (about 5 minutes).
- 19Immediately spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.8
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 151.7 mg
- Sodium 429.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 84.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g