Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This is out of Southern Living's Top 10 Cake Recipes. A unique, interesting, and satisfying cake. Try it some time!
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans.
- Combine sour cream and milk in small bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternating with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla (and rum extract).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire wracks.
- For frosting: Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, milk, beaten egg, and salt in a bowl, stirring well; stir in butter.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup sugar in saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and syrup is a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir butter mixture into hot caramelized sugar.
- (The sugar mixture will tend to clump, but will become smooth after further cooking.) Cook entire mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer registers 235* (about 15-20 minutes).
- Cool mixture for 5 minutes.
- Beat frosting with a wooden spoon to almost spreading consistency (about 5 minutes).
- Immediately spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
I made this cake for Thanksgiving and it was incredibly moist, rich, pure PERFECTION!!!!!!!! All of my family as well as guests were raving about how good the cake was. I would recommend this recipe over and over and over again to any and everyone. Thanks so much for creating memories that will last a lifetime.
This rating is for the cake only: The cake turned out very well. It was very moist. I added the vanilla and tasted the batter and it was good. I was skeptical of the rum, but added it as well....tasted the batter and it was great!! I would definitely recommend adding the rum flavoring. It really added a nice dimension to the flavor.
This cake turned out really well and was very easy to make. I had read several reviews that said how moist it was but mine was a bit dryer than I would have liked it to be but it was still good. I used rum instead of the rum flavoring and loved the flavor it gave the cake. I didn't use the icing recipe included with the cake recipe, but I may try it next time.
I would love any suggestions for making it more moist.