Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Southern Living 1990 Annual Recipes
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- caramel pecan frosting
- Combine sour cream and milk. Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with.
- sour cream mixture beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition. Stir in vanilla and, if desired, rum extract.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick insearted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Caramel Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.