Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This frosting is amazing and a great one for, say, a tasty banana cake or even a Devil's Food cake. Rich and super satisfying. The recipe is based on one I found on another site.
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 828.06 ml sifted powdered sugar
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil and stir for 1 minute until thickened. Remove from heat and add milk. Beat with wire whisk until smooth. Add vanilla and beat again. Then add enough powdered sugar until of desired spreading consistency; the frosting should be POURABLE. POUR frosting over cake from pan and spread to cover. Frosting cools VERY QUICKLY.
- -- also a great frosting for cookies
- Refrigerate after frosting for best texture.
Perfect Caramel frosting. Love your directions! Thanks!
Great taste, very rich caramel flavor. Only negative, I would NOT call it a buttercream frosting, it's more of a thick creamy icing, it is not a light fluffy pipeable cream, to achieve that next time I will make the start of a basic buttercream and whip in the butter/sugar aka caramel as I saw in a few other recipes. Recipe was easy to follow and results were exactly as expected per the instructions, I iced a sheet pan of brownies and then quickly sprinkled coarse sea salt and mini chocolate chips on top and the result was a sweet, salty, caramel/chocolate dream. Summation- Fantastic and delicious creamy caramel icing recipe!
I made a G.F. yellow cake from a mix for my wife's b-day but wanted it to have something extra special since she always makes her cakes from scratch. This frosting was exactly what it needed. Easy to make and super delicious! Thanks for a great recipe!