Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Great for get-togethers!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour one 10 inch bundt pan.
- Cream together the white sugar and 1 cup of the butter.
- Add the eggs one at time, beating mixture well after each.
- Mix the baking soda with the buttermilk. Add to butter mixture and beat.
- Sift flour three times before measuring. Add sifted flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the 2 teaspoons vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for one hour. Let cake cool and top with Caramel Icing.
- To Make Caramel Icing:
- In a saucepan over medium heat cook the brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup butter, and the evaporated milk.
- Stirring frequently bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the 1 teaspoon vanilla, beat until thick.
- Pour over top of cooled bundt cake.
This review is for the cake only, as I had another caramel icing recipe I wanted to try. The cake is a good pound cake and does go well with caramel icing. The cake also tastes good by itself. It is moist and flavorful.