Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Combine caramels and evaporated milk in top of double boiler over low heat.
- Cover and simmer until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside, keeping warm.
- Combine German sweet chocolate and butter in 2 quart saucepan.
- Place over low heat stirring occasionally until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Beat eggs until foamy using electric mixer at high speed.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to egg mixture mixing well.
- Blend in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Spread half of mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread caramel mixture carefully over baked layer.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Stir 1/2 cup of walnuts into remaining chocolate batter.
- Spread batter by spoonfuls over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Refridgerate before cutting into bars or squares.
- These brownies are very difficult to cut if not chilled first.
These were so rich and yummy! I had to leave in the oven a bit longer than recipe called for and the refrigeration definately helped prior to cutting. This was SUCH a hit at our Bible study! Thanks Pixie--will for sure make again!
My chef class loved these and they were easy to prepare!
Amazing! It is very important to chill before cutting. I made as directed--let chill--cut into squares and brought brownies to room temp. Great brownie!