Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love my bread machine! It's great to come home from work on a cold winter day and smell fresh bread baking. Unfortunately since there are no preservatives in fresh baked bread, I was always throwing out stale bread to the birds. This recipe is a great way to use all that stale bread and it is definately NOT for the birds!
- 6 slices day-old bread, in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teasponn salt
- 1 medium chopped apple, if desired
- Place bread in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Combine water and brown sugar; pour over bread.
- Combine remaining ingredients; pour over bread.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50- 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.
This is fine bread pudding. It was very easy to make and only uses ingredients I usually have on hand. I'd like to give 4 and a half points. The reason that I am not saying 5 points is that it lacks richness - such as can be found in butter or cream. I think that with the addition of only a tablespoon or less of butter, this pudding would be greatly improved. I also think it would be possible to reduce the sugar a little at the same time. Overall, a nice recipe with a lot of potential. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.