1/2 Photos of Caramel Bread Pudding
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from a Cook's Illustrated recipe, this is by far the best bread pudding I've ever had. Rustic, easy, and oh-so-delicious. Make two and hide one for yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Spread 1 c Caramel Sauce in bottom of 13 x 9 pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Any large loaf will do, but a nice French bread, or a Challah work especially well.
- 4Spread bread cubes onto sheet pan in a single layer. Brown in oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- 5Reduce oven to 325. Don't forget this step (the voice of experience speaks)!
- 6In a medium bowl, mix eggs, half-and-half, vanilla and salt. Add 1 1/2 c caramel sauce to this mixture.
- 7Place bread cubes in a very large bowl and pour mixture over cubes. Toss gently until all cubes are coated.
- 8Let stand 20 minutes, gently mixing occasionally. Be sure that there are no dry cubes!
- 9Spread the soaked bread over the caramel in the 13 x 9 pan.
- 10Bake at lower oven level for 45 minutes.
- 11Let cool 30 minutes and serve, drizzled with remaining caramel sauce.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.2
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 553.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.2 g