Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of my favorite ways to use up my left-over bread. Since I live alone, a loaf of bread always lasts longer than it should. I always have the ingredients on hand too.
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 slices old bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Press sugar into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place bread on top of sugar tearing to fit. Drizzle bread with melted butter. Sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over bread.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted in center.
This was good but not quite "bready" enough for my taste. I think I'd use 10 slices of bread the next time. It's definitely a sweet bread pudding. We had ours for Sunday breakfast.
I need to update my earlier review of this recipe. I got my serving from the top and didn't go to the bottom of the dish. Later when my husband got his serving he went to the bottom of the dish and that is where the sweet topping is. The topping really added to the flavor of this pudding. Bullwinkle.