1/2 Photos of Caramel Braid (Sweet Bread)
2 hrs 30 mins
My Mom has made this around Christmas time as long as I can remember. It just tastes heavenly! It tastes even better warmed up. It is a little labor intensive and time consuming, but well worth it! Definitely a weekend recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -4 1/2 cups flour
Brown Butter Glaze
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle in sugar and stir. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- 2Heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Milk mixture should be luke warm, not hot. Let it cool down if its too hot.
- 3Pour 1 C of the flour into a mixing bowl. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and stir.
- 4Add another cup of flour and stir. Add eggs and stir, then yeast and stir.
- 5Gradually add the rest of the flour, kneading the dough inside the bowl. Add more flour depending on the consistency, so its not sticky and dough pulls away from the bowl.
- 6Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for a half hour.
- 7While its rising mix all the ingredients for the filling, adding the butter last.
- 8After the dough has risen, beat it down. Knead for a few minutes on a floured surface.
- 9Roll it out into a 12 x 18 rectangle.
- 10Cut into 3 vertical strips, 4 inches wide each. You want long strips.
- 11Spread filling evenly over dough with the back of a spoon. Roll each strip into a roll, overlapping the edges and pinching them shut.
- 12Place on a greased jelly roll pan. Gently braid, tucking the ends underneath. Try to braid quickly so the dough doesn't stretch.
- 13Cover with a towel and let rise for a half hour in a warm palce.
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 to 30 minute Bread should be browned and sound hollow when patted. Let cool on a rack. Take it off the pan with a spatula on each side so it doesn't fall apart.
- 15While the bread is cooling, make the glaze. Heat butter over medium heat until lightly brown, remove from heat.
- 16Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 17Stir in milk, one tsp at a time.
- 18Place bread on foil or board when cool. Drizzle bread with warm glaze. Let glaze harden before wrapping foil around bread if giving as a gift.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Braid (Sweet Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.9
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 101.8 mg
- Sodium 646.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 54.0 g
- Protein 11.9 g