Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
another recipe from the old black walnut fudge
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup black walnut, chopped
- Combine 4 cups of granulated sugar, half and half and butter in a heavy pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring gently.until sugar dissolves.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup sugar in a heavy skillet.cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and turn light golden brown.
- Pour caramelized sugar and milk into fudge mixture.
- MIXTURE WILL LUMP BUT WILL BECOME SMOOTH WITH FURTHER COOKING.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, without stirring, until mixture reaches soft ball stage, 240*,
- Cool down to 160*.add marshmallows and vanilla.
- Beat with a spoon until marshmallows melt and mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in black walnuts, pour into a buttered 9" square pan., spreading with a spatula.
- Cool and cut into squares.