Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe I found on-line while looking for South Africa recipes to post for ZWT.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces white rum
- 4 bananas, sliced
- In a small skillet, heat 1/2 cup WHITE SUGAR
- 1 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 3 Tbs. EVAPORATED MILK
- 2 Tbs. BUTTER.
- Cook until sugar caramelizes (i.e., melts and starts to turn brown).
- Stir in 2 oz. WHITE RUM and cool.
- Arrange 1/2 BANANA per person in compote dish.
- Spoon 3 to 4 Tbs. CARAMEL SAUCE over bananas.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons CHOPPED PEANUTS over caramel sauce.
This was wonderful! We served it with a scoop of ice cream - arranged like a banana split. The chopped peanuts were a good crunchy, slightly salty topping. Since I am new to making caramel, it would have been helpful to have more direction on what heat to cook this on and for how long.
Yep, I agree with everyone else! this was a TRUE winner. Thank you so much! I added some cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg to the mix and we absolutely LOVED it. I also used coconut rum. ZWT4 with the Babes in Africa.
Holy Moly Batman! This is good stuff! I really pigged out on this last nite. My better half thought it would be a good topping for ice cream and it was. We'll be making this one again for company. Made for ZWT4.