Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
simple and yum
- 10 small bananas
- 90 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- Peel the bananas and cut in half lengthways.
- Heat 2/3rds of the butter in a large non stick frying pan.
- When foaming, add the banana halves.
- Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes each side.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan with the sugar, syrup and sour cream.
- Whisk over low heat until until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and simmer for a further minute.
- Return bananas to the pan and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream.
Evie, Spectacular is the word I will use to describe you Caramel Bananas! Very simple to prepare and oh, so incredible to eat! I scaled down the measurements for only myself, because I was alone in the house and didn't want to wait to taste this extraordinary recipe. I'm so glad I didn't wait! Everyone who loves bananas should try this recipe! Don't wait - Try it today! You'll be glad you did!
This turned out fairly well for hubby and I, however we found it way too sweet. Next time we'll reduce the amount of sugar and the golden syrup. Also, you should make sure you use ripe, but not overly ripe, bananas. Thanx Evie!
I am withholding a rating as I want to try this again because I had problems with the bananas turning to mush and wondered if plantains would have worked better?...or if, possibly, plantains are 'called' bananas in New Zealand? The flavor was incredible, but the appearance was very unappetizing. Are the bananas suppose to fall apart? This is the first time I've ever made 'cooked' bananas, besides in banana cakes, breads etc., so I really don't know.