Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Midwest Living magazine: "Sugar-topped banana slices caramelize as they bake on top of these sweet breakfast muffins."
Small Bowl for Filling or Topping Ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Large Bowl for Muffin Ingredients
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Another Bowl for Dry Ingredients
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 salt
- 2 tablespoons caramel topping
- 1 medium banana, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- caramel topping, for later
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin tins (12 holer).
- Mix small bowl ingredients; set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, butter & sugar until well-blended; add egg, beat, then banana & vanilla until well combined; set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to cream-cheese mixture until JUST combined.
- Stir in 1/4-cup of filling ingredients; spoon HALF of batter into muffin tin cups (1 rounded tablespoon); drizzle 1/2 tsp caramel topping (from Other Stuff list) into each muffin cup; top with more batter.
- Finish with 2 slices of banana, a drizzle of melted butter and a sprinkle of the remaining pecan mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes; cool for 5 minutes (well, try to wait that long!); remove from pan.
- Serve warm, drizzled with more caramel topping.