This is a recipe I tore out of a magazine. i made it this week, and it was so delicious! It disappeared very quickly, and I have been asked to make another. My kids loved it and took slices in their lunch boxes. Even my eldest, who is kinda fussy and never eats cake..just LOVED it!
- Grease a 14cmx21cm loaf pan, line base and long sides.
- Combine flour, bicarb, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in dates and brown sugar. Make a well in the centre, add juice, butter, egg, and bananas. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Cook at 180C for about 1 hour.
- Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning out on a rack.
- Serve warm or cold, with a little butter.
Really great! I'm in the US so the measurements were approximate (60 grams of butter is approximately 1/2 a stick here for example, and 180C is just about 350F). I did not have orange juice, so I soaked the dates in Grand Marnier and used 2/3 cherry cider (it was the only juice I had in my fridge). Also, it makes more than can fit in our loaf pans here, so I had enough batter for a regular loaf pan and also a mini-loaf pan. You only want to fill the pans halfway because when you have self rising flour, it really does rise!! FYI - you can make self raising flour by ading 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 Tablespoon baking powder to 2 cups of regular flour.
This was so yummy! It had the perfect hint of orange and the dates were so tasty. The only thing I would change for making it in the future is to double the recipe because by this morning all of it was gone. Thank you for posting such a lovely recipe
Easy, tasty and quick to make!