Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A whole different take on holiday popcorn balls - from cookingchanneltv.com
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 6 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- Combine sugars and corn syrup with 1/3 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugars dissolve. Once mixture has reached 240°F, remove from the heat and stir in butter.
- Return to heat and continue cooking until mixture reaches 300°F Remove from heat and careful stir in extract, baking soda and salt. (The mixture will bubble aggressively, so stir with caution).
- Place popcorn, bacon and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a large bowl and gently fold in caramel mixture until well coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using greased heatproof gloves, take a handful of caramel corn and roll it into a ball. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat to form 12 balls. Let sit at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving. Wrap individual popcorn balls in plastic wrap or store in an air tight container.