Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from one of the issues of Rachael Ray's Magazine, EveryDay.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, toasted
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons caramel sauce, store bought is fine
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using a food processor, finely grind the sugar set 3 tablespoon aside, leaving 1 tablespoon in the food processor. Add the nuts and pulse until finely chopped.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites on medium speed until thick and foamy. Gradually add the reserved 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, fold half of the nut mixture into the merinque and transfer to a 1/2 gallon plastic bag. Cut a 1/4 inch hold in a corner of the bag and pipe for 3 inch rounds onto the lined baking sheet, filling the center in a cicular motion. bake until crisp about 30 minutes. let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the heavy cream and caramel sauce. Using a handheld mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place 1 meringue round on a plate, top with a large dollop of caramel whipped cream, sprinkle with some of the nut mixture, then top with another meringue, more cream and another sprinkle of the nut mixture. Repeat to make a second meringue stack. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.