Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is based on Martha Stewart's recipe. I like to make this in my 12" cast iron skillet for an old-fashioned, homey feel.
- 4 apples (combination of Granny Smith, McIntosh, Fuji, any good baking apple)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml salt
- Peel, core and slice the apples into eights. Aim to keep the slices all about the same size so they cook at the same rate.
- In a large bowl, toss all the apple slices with the lemon juice and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skilled over medium-high heat. Sprinkle sugar over melted butter and cook until sugar begins to brown.
- Add apples. Cover with lid, if desired, and cook until they turn golden brown and are soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and salt; remove skillet from heat.
- Place apple mixture in the bowl of a food processor; process to desired smoothness. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.