Recipe by Annacia
This is a low fat, no cholesterol, low sodium, diabetic friendly recipe (wow, that's a mouthful) by Marilyn Helton, who writes a column: "Diabetic Dining on Fabulous Foods."
- 3 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled baby carrots
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1⁄2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄3 cup dried tart cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Place apples, carrots, water and salt in 3-quart saucepan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until water starts to boil (precook the carrots some if they are big enough to take longer than your apple slices).
- Reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, tossing gently until combined.
- Cook over medium heat 3 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved and apples are glazed.