Recipe by Mary in LA.
In the summertime is when I usually cook my apples.
Top Review by Realtor by day, Chef by night
These apples were absolutely delicious! I used the Fuji apples. They were pretty big so I had enough caramel to make 7 of them. We dipped the bottoms in chocolate chips. Everyone thought they were great. Thanks, Mary in LA.
- 8 apples, any variety
- 1 cup chopped peanuts or 1 cup other nuts, of your choice
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash completely dry the apples.
- Insert a stick into the stem end of each.
- Line a 9-by-inch or 7-by-11-inch baking pan with foil.
- Place the chopped nuts into lined pan.
- Fit a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a candy thermometer.
- Over high heat, cook 3/4 cup of the cream, the corn syrup,butter,and sugar to 280 F firm ball; at this point the syrup will be golden.
- Remove from the heat and carefully swirl in the remaining 1/4 cup of cream and the vanilla.
- Use caution: this is very hot, and it may splatter.
- While the caramel is hot, dip and turn the apples into the caramel to coat and let the excess drip off.
- Dip the bottoms into the chopped nuts.
- Arrange the apples on a nonstick or waxed paper- lined cookie sheet and let dry.