The real deal. Great, traditional Fall Treat
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Equipment needed: 3 qt heavy bottomed pan; Ice, a couple pounds; Candy Thermometer; Wooden sticks/dowels 1/4 inch, 7-8 inches long (good quality wooden chopsticks); Greased baking dish or pan; A dry day (not humid); Potholders; and food grade cellophane wrap.
- 2Fill the bottom of your sink or a large bowl with ice cubes.
- 3Put everything else (except nuts) into a heavy 3 qt pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 4Stir frequently (almost constantly) for approximately 12 minutes until the candy thermometer reads 245 F.
- 5(don't clip the candy thermometer to the side of the pan, just hold it in place to check every few minutes without allowing it to touch the bottom of the pan).
- 6You will notice the syrup becoming thicker.
- 7Remove from heat and set the pan down on top of the ice to stop it from further cooking.
- 8Remove from the ice and immediately begin dipping your apples, rolling them around the pan to cover the sides.
- 9The tops can be left partially uncovered, or dip a spoon into the caramel and cover the tops.
- 10The caramel will be thickening quickly as it cools so you must work very fast Place on greased pan to completely cool.
- 11No need to dip into the nuts immediately, finish dipping all 6 apples first before the caramel gets too stiff, sprinkle nuts on after you're done dipping.
- 12Eat within 2 days.
- 13Can be refrigerated to further set the caramel.
- 14If you need more than 6 apples, make the recipe twice or double the recipe in a larger, deeper pot- at least 6 quarts- but not a wider pot as it makes the caramel cook faster and is harder to control.
- 15(it has to do with the evaporation rate of the caramel and having enough depth to insert the thermometer) Wrap in cellophane and tie ribbon around the sticks.
- 16Caramel may not set up if you make it on a humid day.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apples
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.3
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 129.0 mg
- Sodium 463.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 92.8 g
- Protein 2.1 g