Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Apples on sticks dipped in cooked caramel
- 8 apples, small to medium size, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 3⁄4 cup corn syrup, clear
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Wash and completely dry the apples. Insert a stick (I use tongue depressors) into the stem end of each apple.
- Cut 8 squares of waxed paper big enough to wrap the apple after cooled. Butter each square lightly.
- Fit a heavy bottomed saucepan with a candy thermometer. Over high heat, cook 3/4 cup of the cream, the corn syrup, butter and sugar to 280 degrees F (firm ball); at this point the syrup will be golden. Remove from heat and carefully swirl in the remaining 1/4 cup cream and the vanilla. While the caramel is hot dip and turn the apples til coated, placing them one at a time in the middle of a waxed paper square. leaving them on the squares chill until caramel is set then bring paper up around apple and twist around stick. Options; dip in nuts or chopped choc chips.
This was my first attempt at caramel apples and it turned out DELICIOUS!!! This recipe was easy to follow, easy to do, and produced a yummy result! The only problem I had was when I started rolling the apples in toppings; the candies wanted to all slide to the bottom of the apple. But it was my first time and I'm sure it will look much nicer next time; practice makes perfect! I think next time I will let the caramel dipped apples slightly cool before rolling! Great tasting recipe though!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
Me and my mom made it and it was DELICIOUS!!!! around 270 it was a bit smoky though and I thought it was burnt but it was perfect.
FANTASTIC !! Used this for the bakery I work in- came out great !! Will for sure be making more here at home also ! Follow directions and they should come out great !