Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Better Homes and Gardens...
Make and share this Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cornmeal Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a 10 inch oven-proof skillet. Add apples and stir 5 minutes until tender. Remove from skillet.
- In same skillet, combine remaining butter and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter melts. Bring to boiling.
- Remove from heat. Stir in milk.
- Sprinkle with pecans and cranberries. Arrange apple slices on top.
- In bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, combine cornmeal, water, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine with flour mixture just until mixed. Pour over apples.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert, and serve warm.