My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Dissolve the sugar and water in a saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is clear, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3Turn the heat to high and cook without stirring until the caramel turns a honeybrown color, about 5 more minutes.
- 4Remove from the heat immediately and cool while you prepare the apples.
- 5Peel, core, and quarter the apples.
- 6Melt the butter in na 8-9 inch skillet or cast iron pan.
- 7Arrange a fan of apple slices in a circle around the perimeter and fill in the center with the remaining slices.
- 8Cover and cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the apples begin to soften.
- 9While the apples cook, carefully stir the sour cream into the cooled caramel (it may sputter if the caramel is still very hot).
- 10When the apples are becoming tender, sprinkle on the lemon juice and salt and pour the caramel evenly over the apples.
- 11Trim the corners from the pastry to make a rough circle about 10 inches in diameter.
- 12Fit the dough over the apples, tucking in the edges around the inside of the pan.
- 13Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- 14Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 15Cover with a plate larger than the skillet and invert very carefully to unmold the tart onto the plate.
- 16Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Tarte Tatin
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.9 mg
- Sodium 178.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 34.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g