Recipe by Dine & Dish
This recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine. My husband loves apple pie, but I wanted to try something different. I made this and had one piece. My good friend had one piece. The next morning, it was completely gone... my husband loved it!
Top Review by chungry1
delicious! i used 9 small golden delicious apples and a 13" pan. i also used a premade crust and caramel sauce (limited ingredient availability...) and baked it for 50 minutes. It was great! not spectacular, but delivers what the ingredients give. it is gorgeous, though! thanks
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 large golden delicious apples, peeled, quartered, cored (about 2 3/4 pounds)
Directions See How It's Made
- For caramel sauce:.
- Bring sugar, cream, and butter to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves. Boil until caramel thickens enough to coat spoon thickly, whisking often, about 10 minutes. DO AHEAD Caramel sauce can be made 5 days ahead. Cover; chill. Whisk over low heat until warm before using.
- For crust:.
- Blend flour, powdered sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and blend until coarse meal forms. Add egg yolks. Pulse until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap and chill at least 1 hour. DO AHEAD Dough for tart crust can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- For filling:.
- Whisk first 4 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add apples and toss until evenly coated.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Cut overhang even with top of pan sides. Press sides of dough to bring 1/4 inch above sides of pan. Arrange apple quarters, cut side down, in circle around outer edge of pan, fitting snugly. Cut remaining apple quarters lengthwise in half; stand in center of tart, fitting snugly.
- Bake tart until apples are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove tart from oven; brush with some of caramel sauce. Cool tart to room temperature. Rewarm remaining caramel sauce. Drizzle tart lightly with sauce. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.