Oh wow! This is seriously good! Slightly tart apples topped with a light sponge and drizzled (before cooking) with a caramel sauce that works its way through the whole dish! Real comfort food! I found this recipe in Australia's 'Delicious' Cooking Magazine and have adapted it slightly. It will serve 8 generously but could stretch to more if necessary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 2Butter a large glass or ceramic baking dish approx 32cm x 23cm x 5cm (12" x 9" x 2").
- 3Peel, core and slice apples 1cm (approx 1/2") thick.
- 4Pile apples into the baking dish, adding more apple if necessary to generously cover the bottom of the dish.
- 5Sift flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- 6Make a well in the centre and add milk, butter and eggs and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes pale and the beaters leave a trail.
- 7Spoon batter evenly over the apples and smooth out with the back of a large spoon.
- 8Combine brown sugar, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan.
- 9Stir over medium heat until the mixture has become liquid and the brown sugar has melted.
- 10Stop stirring and allow mixture to come to the boil.
- 11Remove immediately from heat and pour evenly over the batter.
- 12Place dish on the centre shelf of the preheated 180°C (350°F) oven.
- 13Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- 14Dust lightly with icing sugar to serve and serve with thick cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Sponge Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.7
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 96.3 mg
- Sodium 254.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 49.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g