Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite snack mixes. It's sweet rather than being spicy like most snack mixes. This is also great for gift baskets, hostess gifts, or to take to a party.
- 2 1⁄2 cups butter-flavored pretzel sticks
- 2 1⁄2 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups apple cinnamon Cheerios
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, place the caramels and water. Melt the caramels on low, stirring constantly, just until smooth.
- Pour over the cereal, stirring to coat. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake 1 hour, stirring ever 15 minutes.
- Spread out to cool and break into pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container.
This snack mix is a tasty treat. I couldn't find the apple cheerios so just used plain then added couple teaspoons cinnamon to the caramel before mixing. I had to taste test it before we took it to a family gathering. It was really good maybe I could have used more cinnamon but I'm not complaining. Thanks for a great recipe!
Oh, this stuff is GREAT!! I couldn't find butter-flavored pretzel sticks, so I got the butter-flavored pretzel windowpanes instead. Used the store brand Chex and Cheerios (bargain shopping, lol). I happened to have a package of unsulfured dried apple rings in the pantry that were crying out for a good use, and I thought this recipe applied, so I chopped some up and stirred them into the cereals before adding the caramel (a nice enhancement to the apple flavor of the cheerios, I thought). I think next time I make this, I might toss in some cinnamon imperials too (just a thought). Thanks for posting! :)