Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from my little sister. It was called Caramel Apple Salad, but I personally don't think butterscotch pudding tastes like caramel apples... nonetheless, it is a delightful sweet side dish/salad or dessert. Other recipes I've seen on 'Zaar all have pineapple, so I am posting this one as it does not. I prefer Granny Smith or another tart apple in this salad as it is quite sweet, but you can use whatever apples you have on hand. :) Prep time includes chilling time; may also be frozen.
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (4 ounce) box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3 cups diced apples
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- additional peanuts, chopped, for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together Cool Whip and butterscotch pudding mix until smooth and uniform. (Note: you do NOT make the pudding prior to this step, you simply combine the dry mix with the whipped topping.).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine diced apples, peanuts, and marshmallows. Add the Cool Whip mixture and fold together gently until completely combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, or scoop into a lightly greased baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. Serve frozen salad cut into squares--you may need to defrost for a few minutes to half an hour so that it will cut neatly. Garnish with chopped peanuts.
This is a tasty dessert! Instead of peanuts, I put in cut up fun size snickers. They really give it that "caramely apple" feel! Always a crowd pleaser!!!!
Made exactly as written, what a lovely surprise. I've never had anything like this before. It was very refreshing, can't wait to make this next summer. It didn't really remind me of a caramel apple, but it was very tasty never the less. All the ingredients help to create a truly tasty frozen treat. They all worked well together. Thanks for sharing Anissa. Made for Pac - Fall -2011 :)