Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally found this recipe at www.3fatchicks.com (of all places) and have altered it to suit my family's tastes.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines because it's parve)
- 3 large red apples
- 177.44 ml brown sugar
- 354.88 ml boiling water
- Core the apples and cut into thin, small chunks.
- Peeling is optional.
- Mix with the dry cake mix and pour into a greased 9 X 9 inch square pan.
- Mix the brown sugar with the boiling water and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake in a medium over for 1 hour or until brown and bubbly.
- This makes a wonderful dessert with its own caramel sauce.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
I made this dessert last week, using the recipe from 3fatchicks.com. It was so easy and so good! I used half the box of cake mix, per their updated recipe, as well as adding 1/3 cup skim milk. The cake mix I used was reduced fat, too. This recipe got rave reviews!
I made this cake for a gathering where we take turns bringing dessert. It was really sweet for me and not something I would want to make for myself in the future but it was easy to prepare and inexpensive. The group liked it so it was perfect for the occasion.