Recipe by Boyz 5
I found this recipe in our local daily newspaper. This self-saucing pudding with a cake-like top and lots of sauce underneath is delicious on its own or with whipped cream.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup currants (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 apples, cored and unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 boiling water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softenened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and currants or walnuts (if desired).
- Thinly slice half of one apple; set aside. Chop remaining apples and add to flour mixture along with milk and melted butter; mix well.
- Spread in buttered 9-inch square metal cake pan.
- Arrange apple slices on top.
- Sauce: In bowl, whisk together water, brown sugar, flour, butter and vanilla; gently pour over batter.
- Bake in 350° oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until tester inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm.