Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Total comfort food. Perfect for a wintery night. Source: Delicious magazine - July 2005
- 5 large golden delicious apples or 5 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1cm thick
- 1 2⁄3 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 250 g caster sugar
- 200 ml milk
- 150 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup light muscovado sugar or 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- icing sugar, and
- heavy cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Lightly butter a 2.5 litre baking dish.
- Place sliced apples in the prepared dish.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl of an electric mixer, add caster sugar, milk, butter and egg, then beat until pale.
- Spread mixture over the apples.
- Place muscovado or brown sugar, golden syrup and 300ml water in a saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil without stirring.
- Pour over the pudding batter, then bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.