Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great fall recipe that kids love. Goes great with mashed potatoes and green beans. I found it several years ago on another website, but have altered to make more sauce.
- 4 pork chops, 3/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 granny smith apples or 2 other tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Put oven on warm setting and place an empty medium sized dish in oven.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Brush chops with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning once or twice, or until done. Transfer chops to the dish in the oven.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Reduce heat to medium, add butter to skillet and stir in apples and brown sugar mixture. Cover and cook until apples are tender. Remove apples from pan and arrange on top of chops, keeping warm in the oven.
- Continue cooking sauce in skillet until slightly thickened. Spoon over chops and apples and serve.
I substituted ground cloves for the ground nutmeg, and it came out great!
My husband really enjoyed this and ate 2 chops. He was leary about the apples but decided it was really good. Sorry to say the kids didn't try it so I can't comment. They fell asleep during supper.
My Family LOVED this.. I wasn't too sure how it would be it isn't like any recipe I had tried before. It tasted wonderful. The chops were tender. If I made it again I would most likely add a couple of more apples. (DH thought 2 wasn't enough!)