Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
I got this one from Land O Lakes, and it sound soooo good!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cold land o lakes butter
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon land o lakes butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup thick caramel ice cream topping
- 6 medium tart cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- heat oven to 400*.
- Combine clour and salt in large bowl.
- cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened.
- Devide dough in half; shape each half into ball.
- Flatten slightly.
- Wrap 1 ball of dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- Roll out remaining ball of ough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle.
- Fold into quarters.
- Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; uncold, pressing against bottom and sides.
- Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan; set aside.
- Lightly toss together caramel, apples, and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss lightly.
- Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough into 11-inch circle.
- Cut out 10 (1/2 inch) strips with sharp knife or pastry wheel.
- Place 5 strips, 1 inch apart, across filling in pie pan.
- Weave remaining 5 strips at right angles to strips already in place.
- Trim ends.
- Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over strips; build up an edge.
- Crimp or flute edge.
- Brush strips with 1 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoons sugar.
- cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip of foil.
- Bake for 35 minute.
- Remove foil.
- bake for another 20-25 min or until lightly browned and juice begins to bubble.
- cool pie 30-45 minute.
- serve warm.
This pie came out very good but just a tad too sweet. (2)
Beautiful pie and delicious, but no caramel taste. For the crust, I used half shortening and half butter. The recipe is well written and easy to follow, but we were looking forward to that caramel dimension coming through, and it doesn't. The pie is still quite a treat and I'm glad I tried the recipe!