Recipe by Lainey39
Ever since I made this pie several years ago for Thanksgiving, it has been a must-have at holiday gatherings. Everyone loves it. It takes some time, but it is well worth it. Feel free to make your own pie crust - I do. It's the filling that makes this pie! Also, if you do not like crushed toffee bars, try chopped walnuts or pecans. Be sure to use a deep dish pie pan.
Top Review by Cuistot
Oh my YUM! I even forgot to turn down the heat so my top crust didn't relax down, and slightly burned. It was still fantastic! Cooking it creates a wonderful caramel type of sauce. It holds together GREAT! no soggy bottom crust or drippy filling. This will be my new regular apple pie. Thanks!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 cups granny smith apples or 6 cups jonathan apples
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 chocolate-covered english toffee bars or 3 ounces chocolate covered peanut brittle
Directions See How It's Made
- For pie crust, chill all ingredients, including the flour and vinegar. Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- In another bowl, mix water and vinegar with the beaten egg. Add the liquid mixture, 1 T at a time, to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork to form a soft dough.
- For filling, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix.
- Add vanilla and cream.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 8 minutes, to soften apples. Turn into pie shell.
- For streusel topping, combine the flour and sugar.
- Mix in butter with fork until coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the crushed toffee bars. Sprinkle over pie. Add top crust. Seal, flute edge and vent top.
- Brush top crust with half and half and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes (you may want to put an old cookie sheet or aluminum foil under the pan to catch any drippings). Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer or until apples are cooked.