Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pouring the caramel over the top of this pie gives it a sweet, crunchy glaze. I have always wanted to make it with a full top crust but everyone always requests the lattice top! Prep time includes preparing the apple slices. Feel free to use refrigerated pie crusts. NOTE: I used a full top crust (see pictures) and it is still delicious and easy, just not very pretty. It would be prettier without using the caramel as a glaze on the top, simply mix it all in with the apple slices.
- 2 (9 inch) prepared pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 granny smith apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- lemon juice
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples, store in a bowl with some lemon juice to keep from turning brown until needed.
- Preheat Oven to 425°F.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir in flour to make a paste.
- Add water, vanilla, sugars and spices and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and simmer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour approximately 3/4 of caramel mixture over apples and toss to coat.
- Place bottom crust in a deep dish pie pan.
- Fill with apple slices (there will be a lot, create a mound).
- Cover with a lattice top crust and pour remaining caramel over the top, pouring carefully so it doesn't spill out. Or toss all caramel with apples and cover with a vented top crust.
- Place on a cookie sheet (for runoff) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350F and cover pie crust and continue baking for 35-45 minutes or until apples are soft.
This pie is quite nice and easy to make. For us, it was a bit heavy on the spices. We'd have preferred more of a simple apple taste. Otherwise, the recipe is great.
I made this for Thanksgiving last year and it was the hit of the meal. It was my first homemade pie and it was easy to make. Definitely making again this year!
This pie taste great. Spices were just perfect for us. Will make this many more times I'm sure. Thanks for posting this recipe.