Recipe by MommyMakes
Pouring the caramel over the top of this pie gives it a sweet, crunchy glaze. I have always wanted to make it with a full top crust but everyone always requests the lattice top! Prep time includes preparing the apple slices. Feel free to use refrigerated pie crusts. NOTE: I used a full top crust (see pictures) and it is still delicious and easy, just not very pretty. It would be prettier without using the caramel as a glaze on the top, simply mix it all in with the apple slices.
- 2 (9 inch) prepared pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 granny smith apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples, store in a bowl with some lemon juice to keep from turning brown until needed.
- Preheat Oven to 425°F.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir in flour to make a paste.
- Add water, vanilla, sugars and spices and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce temperature and simmer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour approximately 3/4 of caramel mixture over apples and toss to coat.
- Place bottom crust in a deep dish pie pan.
- Fill with apple slices (there will be a lot, create a mound).
- Cover with a lattice top crust and pour remaining caramel over the top, pouring carefully so it doesn't spill out. Or toss all caramel with apples and cover with a vented top crust.
- Place on a cookie sheet (for runoff) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350F and cover pie crust and continue baking for 35-45 minutes or until apples are soft.