Recipe by FLKeysJen
Barley adds a nutty flavor and texture complementing this creamy, apple-rich oatmeal. Load up your crockpot before bed>zzzzz-Sweet Dreams-zzzzz->Wake up 5-8 hours later to a lovely autumn breakfast.
Top Review by cynthia912
This is SO good, I will make it again! I love waking up to a hot breakfast. I did make a couple changes. . .I added walnuts and cinnamon chips (like chocolate chips, but made of cinnamon). We didn't have yogurt with it, we had milk with it instead.
I bet you could use different kinds of grains, like whole wheat instead of barley, or millet. Yummy!
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped in small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 118.29 ml oatmeal (regular or steel-cut, not quick cooking)
- 59.14 ml pearl barley
- 354.88 ml apple cider
- 6 Kraft caramels, unwrapped (1/8 of 14-oz. bag KRAFT Caramels found in the candy, seasonal or produce section by the apples)
- 170.09 g yogurt (vanilla is good, Target's Archer Farms brand has a Caramel Apple flavored yogurt that's divine in th)
- caramel syrup (Smucker's Sundae Syrup in the squeeze bottle is perfect)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. This is an important step as I find that all overnight oatmeal recipes stick to the sides of the pot. If you have an older model without an insert that removes for cleaning, you may want to skip this and other oatmeal recipes, or slow cook during the day so you're available for intermittent stirring.
- Dump the apples, barley, oatmeal and cider in the crockpot, and stir well. Place the caramels on top. This can be done earlier in the evening, but wait until you go to bed to turn the crockpot on LOW.
- When you wake up, empty the yogurt into the slow cooker and stir. Let it warm through, stir again, and then spoon into serving bowls. Turn off the crockpot.
- Spoon the creamy apple goodness into serving bowls, discarding any parts that stuck to the sides of the pot. Drizzle with caramel syrup and ENJOY!