Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Not sure where this came from, a friend gave it to me and we have enjoyed it for years.
Make and share this Caramel Apple Oat Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In large bowl, combine flour, spices if using, oats, sugar, baking soda and salt; cut in margarine until crumbly.
- Reserving 1-1/2 cups crumb mixture, press remainder on bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Add nuts to reserved crumb mixture.
- In heavy sauce pan, over low heat, melt caramels with sweetened condensed milk, stirring until smooth, add vanilla.
- Spoon apple pie filling over prepared crust; top with caramel mixture then reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
This is SO good! Everyone who eats it, has to have the recipe for it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
My husband is big on anything with apples - especially apples with caramels so this recipe just jumped right out at me. We served it with whipped cream instead of ice cream and it was very tasty. I do reccommend having a cup of coffee hand though because it is very sweet and very rich.