Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
Make and share this Caramel Apple Nut Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt, a pinch
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 6 cups peeled sliced apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith, 4-5 apples)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- brown sugar (for sprinkling) or granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 400°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out crust.
- Put the brown sugar, flour, salt, and cream in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined, then stir in the nuts.
- Put the apples in a large bowl and add the sugar mixture.
- The mixture will be very thick, so it's easier to use your hands to do the mixing.
- Spread the apples evenly in the crust, then scatter the butter over the top.
- Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- Brush the top crust with the milk, then sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.