2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt, a pinch
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 6 cups peeled sliced apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith, 4-5 apples)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- brown sugar (for sprinkling) or granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out crust.
- 2Put the brown sugar, flour, salt, and cream in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined, then stir in the nuts.
- 3Put the apples in a large bowl and add the sugar mixture.
- 4The mixture will be very thick, so it's easier to use your hands to do the mixing.
- 5Spread the apples evenly in the crust, then scatter the butter over the top.
- 6Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- 7Brush the top crust with the milk, then sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
- 8Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- 9Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours before slicing.
- 10Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Nut Pie
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.9
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 255.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 5.9 g