Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living, September 2005.
To make muffins
- 1 (3 lb) bagsmall apples (12 to 14 apples)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
To make frosting
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For muffins:.
- Peel, core, and cut 4 apples into 24 (1/4-inch-thick) rings.
- Sauté apple rings, in batches, in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from skillet, and place 1 apple ring in the bottom of each of 24 lightly greased muffin pan cups.
- Peel and finely chop enough remaining apples to equal 3 cups.
- Set aside.
- Stir together sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Fold in finely chopped apples and 1 cup pecans.
- Spoon batter evenly over apple rings in muffin pan cups, filling cups three-quarters full.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan, and cool, apple rings up, on a wire rack.
- Press the handle of a wooden spoon gently into the center of each apple ring, forming a 1-inch-deep indentation in the muffins.
- Spoon warm Quick Caramel Frosting evenly over muffins, filling indentations.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans.
- For frosting:.
- Place all ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture reaches a pudding-like thickness.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon warm frosting evenly over muffins.
- Frosting makes approximately 2 1/2 cups.
I found this to be very delicious and the caramel icing is wonderful!@ I think that is what made it for me was the caramel icing. It was very quick and easy to make and you could use it for other items as well. Very good!