Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living, September 2005.
Make and share this Caramel-Apple Muffins With Quick Caramel Frosting recipe from Food.com.
To make muffins
- 1 (3 lb) bagsmall apples (12 to 14 apples)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
To make frosting
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For muffins:.
- Peel, core, and cut 4 apples into 24 (1/4-inch-thick) rings.
- Sauté apple rings, in batches, in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from skillet, and place 1 apple ring in the bottom of each of 24 lightly greased muffin pan cups.
- Peel and finely chop enough remaining apples to equal 3 cups.
- Set aside.
- Stir together sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Fold in finely chopped apples and 1 cup pecans.
- Spoon batter evenly over apple rings in muffin pan cups, filling cups three-quarters full.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan, and cool, apple rings up, on a wire rack.
- Press the handle of a wooden spoon gently into the center of each apple ring, forming a 1-inch-deep indentation in the muffins.
- Spoon warm Quick Caramel Frosting evenly over muffins, filling indentations.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans.
- For frosting:.
- Place all ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture reaches a pudding-like thickness.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon warm frosting evenly over muffins.
- Frosting makes approximately 2 1/2 cups.