1 hr 15 mins
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living, September 2005.
My Private Note
dozen m ...
Units: US | Metric
To make muffins
- 1 (3 lb) bag small apples (12 to 14 apples)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
To make frosting
- 1For muffins:.
- 2Peel, core, and cut 4 apples into 24 (1/4-inch-thick) rings.
- 3Sauté apple rings, in batches, in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 4Remove from skillet, and place 1 apple ring in the bottom of each of 24 lightly greased muffin pan cups.
- 5Peel and finely chop enough remaining apples to equal 3 cups.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Stir together sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- 8Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients; add to sugar mixture, stirring just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.)
- 9Fold in finely chopped apples and 1 cup pecans.
- 10Spoon batter evenly over apple rings in muffin pan cups, filling cups three-quarters full.
- 11Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Remove muffins from pan, and cool, apple rings up, on a wire rack.
- 13Press the handle of a wooden spoon gently into the center of each apple ring, forming a 1-inch-deep indentation in the muffins.
- 14Spoon warm Quick Caramel Frosting evenly over muffins, filling indentations.
- 15Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans.
- 16For frosting:.
- 17Place all ingredients in a heavy 3-quart saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat.
- 18Cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture reaches a pudding-like thickness.
- 19Remove from heat.
- 20Spoon warm frosting evenly over muffins.
- 21Frosting makes approximately 2 1/2 cups.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel-Apple Muffins With Quick Caramel Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (4373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5738.3
- Calories from Fat 2683
- Total Fat 298.1 g
- Saturated Fat 76.2 g
- Cholesterol 574.2 mg
- Sodium 2179.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 728.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 35.7 g
- Sugars 546.7 g
- Protein 75.0 g