Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The caramel-apple taste in this sweet breakfast treat cannot be beat. This is from vegcooking.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup soymilk
- 6 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 slices whole wheat bread or 8 slices sourdough bread
- Cook the sugar in a large, dry skillet over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until melted and beginning to caramelize.
- Continue to stir and add the vegan butter. Once the sugar and vegan butter/margarine are combined, fold in the apple. Stir until smooth.
- When the caramel sauce starts to form around the apples, pour in the maple syrup. Stir occasionally and let simmer for 10 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from the direct heat and keep warm.
- Whisk together the soy milk, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Dip the bread in the batter, turning to coat both sides.
- Cook in a nonstick skillet until golden brown and top with the caramel apples.
this is good, I use hold milk 1 cup, thank you for posting !!