Recipe by Manami
Yes, yet another apple dumpling recipe! Taste it, is really good and you will like it. My mother used to make these for dinner parties when I was young. Found this on Diana's Desserts, 2003 Diana Baker Woodall posted in February of that year. The sauce can be made up to 3 weeks ahead, chill in airtight container and the dumplings can be made up to 1 day ahead - chill sauce, dumpling and egg mixture separately in airtight container. Just bake chilled dumplings as directed.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons rum (optional)
- chopped nuts (optional)
- 4 medium baking apples (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples are good choices.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 sheet frozen puff pastry (17.3oz pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Caramel Sauce.
- Peel apples, core each, creating a 1" wide hollow from top to bottom.
- Place apples in a bowl and coat with lemon juice.
- On a lightly floured board, roll pastry into a 12" square.
- Cut into four equal squares and center an apple upright on each.
- Pour Caramel Sauce equally into apple hollows.
- Add chopped nuts at this time, if using.
- Brush egg/water mixture over 1/2" wide border around each pastry.
- To wrap each dumpling, with floured finger bring two opposite pastry corners up over apple and pinch tips together. Repeat with remaining two corners.
- Firmly pinch all tips together; pinch each seam, then fold over about 1/8" along the seam and pinch again, leaving no holes.
- Space evenly on a buttered 12x15" baking sheet.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
- Bake until pastry is deep golden, 10-15 minutes longer.
- With a wide spatula, transfer the dumplings to plates.
- Accompany with remaining caramel sauce and ice cream, if desired.
- Caramel Sauce:.
- In a 2-3 quart pan over medium heat, tilt and swirl sugar often until melted and amber-colored. About 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream; mixture will bubble and sugar will harden.
- Stir until sugar melts again and sauce boils, 6-8 minutes.
- At once, pour sauce into a bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Let sauce cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the rum.
- Serve warm or cool.