Two all-time favorites, caramel and apples, combine to make moist, delicious cupcakes. I found this recipe in my monthly email from Land O Lakes and it sounded so good that I am posting here for safe keeping. Will update once I have made them. Update 2/13/2013: Finally got around to trying these cupcakes and made several changes after the first 2 reviews. I, too, found the batter very dry and doubled the 1/2 & 1/2 and also doubled the amount of apples. In order to make it more like the flavors of a caramel apples, I added Krafts Caramel Bits which really increased the caramel flavor!! Hope you enjoy them with the added changes as much as we enjoyed them.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (Traditional or Fat Free)
- 3 eggs
- 4 small apples, shredded or 2 cups shredded apples
- 3⁄4-1 cup caramel, bits
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 -5 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F Place paper baking cups into 24 muffin pan cups; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and apple pie spice in medium bowl. Combine all remaining cupcake ingredients except apples in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). Add flour mixture; stir until just moistened. Stir in apples.
- Fill each prepared muffin cup with about 1/4 cup batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely.
- Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons half & half and 2 tablespoons butter in 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved (4 to 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in enough powdered sugar for desired frosting consistency, adding additional half & half, if necessary. Stir in vanilla. Frost cupcakes.
- Tip: An easy way to shred the apples is to core and halve them before shredding. Leave the peel on for a little color and texture.