Recipe by luvmybge
This recipe is from Quick Cooking - September/October 2001. I use the paper liners for the jumbo muffin pans because it makes for easier transporting of the cupcakes. They seem to stay fresher, too. These are great for a bake sale or even for a Halloween party.
Top Review by Panino
Super good flavor! I have a jumbo muffin pan but couldn't find the jumbo paper liners, so we made them in regular size liners. Needed to double the nuts and carmels for that. Subbed toasted walnuts for the pecans and it was still fabulous!The apple made for extra moist cake and not overly sweet. Will make them again, for sure!Thank you for posting this great recipe.
- 1 package spice cake mix or 1 package carrot cake mix
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 20 caramels (unwrapped)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 wooden popsicle sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; fold in apples.
- Fill 12 greased or paper-lined jumbo muffin cups (Texas-size) three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, melt the caramels and milk over low heat until smooth.
- Cool for a little bit so when you ice the cupcakes the caramel won't drip down the sides.
- Spread caramel over cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Insert a wooden stick into the center of each cupcake.