Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from a co-worker who cannot remember where she got it---but I am so glad she did because it is a DELICIOUS treat-especially on a cold winter day!
- 4 large tart apples, cored
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup cider
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 hot red cinnamon candies
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 caramel candies
- whipped cream, if desired
- Remove about 1/2 inch of peel off top of each apple.
- Place apples in crock pot.
- Pour juice over apples.
- Fill center of each apple with: 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 3 cinnamon candies, 1 Tbsp butter, and 2 caramels.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until apples are tender.
- Serve hot with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
The dessert was absolutely delicious. We ate vanilla icecream with ours. If you chop up the apples as I did, it would work better if the caramels were melted before adding them to the crockpot. Try this you'll love it too!
I trippled the recipie, also I had the apples cut into pieces too. It ended up looking like applesauce but that was ok. My 16 year old daughter said "mamma, it don't look pretty but it's the BOMB!" Rave reviews from my co-workers too!
Yum! Yum! I used Honeycrisp apples. I wasn't sure what kind of candies they were supposed to be. I used the cinnamon disks but I think it is supposed to be either hot tamales or red hots? I had seen this recipe in my Gooseberry Patch Flavors of Fall cookbook. Glad to see it on here!